Myddle school is an important part of the community within our historic village. Our reach also extends beyond our immediate community as we provide education for children from Harmer Hill and also beyond our catchment into areas such as Shawbury. We also have very strong links to Baschurch as we are federated with Baschurch Primary School and are a feeder school to The Corbet Secondary School there too.
Baschurch CE (A) Primary School and Myddle CE Primary School and Nursery finalised their Federation on 28th February 2017.
The schools retain their own names, but the federation will be called The Harris Gough Federation. There is a lot of history in our villages which we wanted to reflect in the name and we hope that children over the years to come will enjoy finding out about Eleanor Harris and Richard Gough and that their legacies will live on.
What’s in a name? The Harris Gough Federation
Eleanor Harris set up a school in her home in Weston Lullingfields in the early 1700’s.
During her life she established a small estate of farmland and houses including Baschurch School. In her Will, which can be seen at Baschurch Primary School, she left the estate for the benefit of children in the area at that time.
The parish had the benefit of an endowment by Eleanor Harris in 1716, for the education and clothing of poor children. Eleanor was adamant that education should be available to all children, no matter what their situation was. Baschurch School was a place where they could learn, receive a free uniform and boots to wear. Even to this day, the Eleanor Harris Trust provide some money every year to the school, as per her will, to make sure this continues.
In 2016, we had a big 300 year anniversary celebration at Baschurch Primary School. We were visited by an ex-pupil and teacher, Jessie E Hanson, who has spent many years researching and writing a book about Eleanor Harris.
Richard Gough, author of “Antiquities and Memories of the Parish of Myddle”, and “Observations concerning the seats in Myddle and the families to which they belong” was born in 1635 and died in 1723. He was educated in Myddle and Broughton, and lived at Newton on the Hill.
Although Gough’s writings are not currently in print, a freely available digitised version created by Google can be accessed here
To celebrate the 300th anniversary of Gough’s account of village life, a group of 18 local people created an illustrated pack of six walks around Myddle which have become known as the ‘Gough Walks’.
We now have one governing body over the two schools, details of which can be found on the Governors page of this website.